Like many resorts in Valais, Champex started out as a group of “mayens” – places where the cows are kept.
The first tourist activities didn't take place at the lake but in Champex d'en Haut. The tourism boom started in 1892 with the building of the Hôtel de la Poste by Daniel Crettex, a name and a family that has always been closely linked with the resort.
In 1907, the resort had nine hotels with more than 500 beds! It was then mainly visited in summer and offered a wide range of activities, such as the beach, boating, excursions, tennis and trout wishing, as well as skiing in winter.
At the request of clients, a private chapel – the Chapelle de la Nativité – was built in 1910.
The Freudenberg family also played a very important part in the development of Champex-Lac, creating 100 kilometres of mountain paths above the lake between 1920 and 1993, as well as paths with rhododendrons and blackberries, paths crossing frozen lakes and moraine.
Around 1930, the decision was taken to build a Protestant chapel and in 1935, the Chapelle des Arolles was inaugurated.
In 1941, the Catholic chapel dedicated to St Bernard de Menten was in turn inaugurated.
Winter tourist activity developed during the 1950s with the building of La Breya chairlift in 1952.
1876 : The Club alpin vaudois (Vaudois Mountain Club) built the cabane d’Orny (hut).
1892 : Hôtel de la Poste at Champex-Lac built.
1910 : Private Chapelle de la Nativité built.
1925 : Flore-Alpe botanical garden implemented by Jean-Marcel Aubert.
1926 : Les Valettes-Champex road built.
1928 : Orsières-Champex road built.
1929 : Queen Wilhelmine of the Netherlands comes to stay in Champex-Lac.
1935 : The Protestant Chapelles des Arolles built.
1940 : The artillery fort built.
1941 : The St-Bernard Catholic chapel built.
1952 : La Breya chairlift built.